Tuesday, February 5, 2013

WHY ARE WE LETTING THIS HAPPEN !!! ??? !!!


Nearly half the world – over three billion people – live on less than $2.50 a day.

According to UNICEF, 26,500-30,000 children die each day due to poverty – that’s 18 children dying every minute, a child every three seconds.


About 1.1 billion people in developing countries have inadequate access to water, and 2.6 billion lack basic sanitation.


For the 1.9 billion children from the developing world: 640 million are without adequate shelter, 400 million do not have access to safe water, 270 million do not have access to health services.

About 2.2 million children die each year because they are not immunized.

About 1.6 billion people – a quarter of humanity – live without electricity.

Over nine million people, of which five million are children, die worldwide each year because of hunger and malnutrition.

Over 11 million children die each year from preventable causes like malaria, diarrhea and pneumonia.

About 20% of the population in the developed nations consume 86% of the world’s goods.

poorest 40% of the world’s population accounts for 5% of the global income. The richest 20% accounts for 75% of world income.


Around 27-28% of all children in developing countries are estimated to be underweight or stunted.

2 comments:

  1. I am teaching a full slate of 12th grade standard English classes this semester. In Baltimore County, all 12th graders take British literature. My class sizes are 28, 30, and 31 (we are on a semester schedule with 83 minute periods). My first two periods are inclusion classes (I have an instructional aide in each to help with accommodations for the neediest students). The classes are a challenge with behavior issues including disrespect (I had a young man literally cus me out when I suggested he make it to class on time in the future) and blatant refusal to follow rules (calling out, eating in class, sleep...). Many of these kids come from low income homes and broken homes. I have kids who smoke cigarettes and who are in some sort of rehab program for drugs. I have students who are parents already. This is the most difficult semester I have had as a teacher, and I broke down last night in tears over the frustration of it all. I'm not sure what I am asking, but I definitely need prayers for patience as I try to teach these very needy students. Any suggestions for how to reach them and/or best meet their needs are appreciated. I have always considered you a wise woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marie,

      I have been reading reflecting, remembering, and praying. I wish being wise were easier. Wisdom is knowledge with boots on. Check my Wednesday blog. I am starting a series of blogs on behavior management. As spring rolls around, my first response is pray for each of your students by name as you respond and they react. As you enter their grades in your grade book. As they enter your classroom. Before you leave your classroom at the end of the day and before it begins each morning. Walk the classroom. Touch each desk. Pray for each student who will sit there. I am sure they don't see British Literature as having any relevance to their lives. Pray as you prepare that God will help you find ways to make it relevant.

      I see your tears gathered in a crystal bottle one that I know reflects your love for each of those students. Your heart is being broken by those who break the heart of God. Know that I am continuing to pray with you and for you.

      Jorja

      Delete